Junior Year (Grade 7)
Welcome to the Kids, Cops & Computers program.
To learn more about the Program and expectations for the school year, visit the tabs below.
Welcome to Merry Go Round Children’s Foundation’s Kids, Cops & Computers program. Congratulations on receiving your brand-new HP laptop. It was amazing to meet you during your school Launch.
At the Launch, Merry Go Round staff went over what is expected of you during the first year of the Program.
The Program requires that you:
- Attend five lunchtime Lead & Learn sessions with your police officer.
- Complete and submit an assignment at the end of March based on the topics provided.
- Refrain from cyber-bullying.
Once you complete the three Program requirements, it is time to celebrate!
Inspiration Games will be held on May 30th, 2017 to celebrate the completion of your first year of Kids, Cops & Computers and earning complete ownership of your HP laptop. All 625 Toronto students will gather at The Hangar in Downsview Park for a day of food, games, awards, and fun!
If you have any questions, try visiting the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) tab on the side to see if it has already been answered.
Please work hard and try your best this year. We know you will achieve great things in the Program!
Lead & Learn Sessions
A very special part of the Kids, Cops & Computers program are the 5 lunchtime Lead & Learn sessions. Attendance to these sessions is required to remain in the Program – so be sure not to skip any sessions.
If you know that you will be away on the day of your session, speak to your teacher or officer beforehand to see what can be arranged. If you miss a Lead & Learn session, ask your teacher, officer, or another student in the Program for information on what you missed.
The assignment is due March 31st, 2017. You will be asked to return your laptop if you miss the deadline or do not submit your own original work.
The topics for the assignment are:
- The pros and cons of technology
- Why is being involved in your community important and how will it help you to succeed?
The topics for the assignment will be based on your Lead & Learn sessions – so your attendance is important.
Our Code Of Conduct
Merry Go Round Children’s Foundation (MGR) expects students to be responsible when accessing the Internet and abide by the code of conduct. Inappropriate use of online access by participants will result in removal from the Program, removal of the computer, and/or legal action.
Personal Safety Rules
- Never reveal information about your or someone else’s personal identity (such as your name, address, phone number, age, physical description or school) to strangers whom you may encounter online or on a public website.
- Never reveal your personal password(s) or those of anyone else.
- Never send a picture of yourself, another person or a group over an electronic network without prior informed permission of all the individuals involved and, in the case of minors, their parents or guardians.
- Report immediately to a parent, police officer or teacher any message or request that you receive that bothers you or that suggests personal contact with you.
- Never publish the specific dates, times and locations of your activities to public forums where strangers might access the information.
Unacceptable Sites and Materials
Users may encounter a website that, parents or staff might consider inappropriate or offensive. It is your responsibility not to intentionally access these types of websites. If such material is accessed by accident, the incident must be reported immediately to a parent, police officer or teacher.
Merry Go Round is committed to meeting obligations under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the Ontario Human Rights Code by providing safe environments that respect the rights of every individual. Discrimination and harassment will not be tolerated. It is not acceptable to knowingly access sites, which contain material of a discriminatory or harassing nature.
- As a participant of the Kids, Cops & Computers program, you will not knowingly access, upload, download, store, display, distribute or publish any information that:
- Is illegal or that advocates illegal acts or facilitates unlawful activity;
- Threatens or intimidates any person or suggests violence, hatred or discrimination toward others;
- Uses inappropriate and/or abusive language or conduct;
- Contains inappropriate religious or political messages;
- Violates or infringes the rights of any other person according to the Ontario Human Rights Code, or the Canadian Charter or Rights and Freedoms;
- Is racially, culturally or religiously offensive;
- Encourages the use of controlled substances, participation in an illegal act or uses the system to incite criminal actions;
- Is of a defamatory, abusive, obscene, profane, pornographic or sexually explicit nature;
- Contains personal information, images or signatures of individuals without their consent;
- Constitutes messages of sexual harassment or which contains inappropriate romantic overtones;
- Attempts to hide, disguise or misrepresent the identity of the sender.
If you Cyber-bully, you will lose your laptop.
What should I do if my laptop stops working?
Your computer is under warranty for 1 year with HP. If your computer stops working from issues that do not include physical damage, please contact the HP warranty number at 1-800-334-5144.
When is my assignment due?
The assignment is due March 31st, 2017.
What happens if I move and/or change my phone # or email?
If you move or change your contact information, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name, previous school, and your new information.
If you are moving and changing schools, please contact Merry Go Round Children’s Foundation immediately.
How do I find Kids, Cops & Computers on social media?
Be sure to follow us on our social media channels to stay up-to-date on upcoming online contests and Program news.
- Twitter – @kidcopcomputer
- Facebook – Kids, Cops & Computers
- Instagram – @kidcopcomputer
- Youtube – Kids, Cops & Computers
- Snapchat – @kidcopcomputer
Can I play games, download music or movies onto my computer?
The answer is…YES.
You can play games and download music or movies on to your computer, however please be cautious when downloading anything. As mentioned during your Launch, be sure to install your Norton Anti-Virus card first thing to avoid any viruses.
To download a free Word Processor, please go to www.openoffice.org and follow instructions.
Intermediate & Senior Years (Grades 8 – 12)
Congratulations on completing your first year of the Kids, Cops & Computers program.
Welcome to your Senior Years in the Kids, Cops & Computers program. You have successfully earned ownership of your HP laptop through completing the requirements in your Junior year. Now, there are only wonderful opportunities ahead in the Program to support your future.
As a senior student, there are chances for you to:
- Apply for a $1000 Good Citizen Scholarship handed out at Inspiration Games.
- Use your computer to enter contests on social media for a chance to win prizes using your talents and abilities.
- Participate in Twitter chats to stay connected with other KCC students and the community.
- Attend important seminars, such as resume building workshops, to build your brand and help reach your goals.
- Volunteer with Merry Go Round Children’s Foundation as a student ambassador during events.
To learn more about your eligibility and how to apply for the scholarship during high school, please see the side tab for more information.
Be sure to follow us on social media and check your emails for exciting opportunities from Merry Go Round Children’s Foundation.
Don’t miss your chance to receive financial support for the future. Stay tuned for more information on upcoming scholarships in 2018.
Kids, Cops & Computers (KCC) offers a scholarship program with bursaries of $1000, designed to recognize Senior students who have demonstrated strong community citizenship. Active volunteerism is important for the development of neighborhoods and in providing students with the experience and self-confidence needed to succeed in their future. Eligible activities performed for the Ministry of Education’s mandatory volunteer requirements for secondary students (40 hours) can be used towards this scholarship. A new scholarship application may be made each academic year.
Selection: Recipients will be selected by Merry Go Round Children’s Foundation based on the criteria listed below. This is not a scholarship based solely for students with the highest academic achievements, but marks may be used to evaluate finalists. If the selection panel does not feel the quality of the applications meets the criteria, they may award less than five scholarships.
CRITERIA FOR KCC SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION:
- Applicant must be a current participant in the Kids, Cops & Computers
- Applicant must be a full-time student, enrolled in Grades 9 through 12.
- Applicant must have a record of demonstrated involvement in the community.
WHAT TO INCLUDE FOR APPLICATION COMPLETION:
1. Student Information – Full Name, School Attending, Grade, and Contact Information
2. Activity Summary – In point form, provide a list of your extracurricular and community activities. Be sure to provide dates, approximate number of hours you volunteered, and a brief description of the activity you completed. Please do not include any paid positions.
- September 12, 2016
- 3:00PM – 8:00PM (5 hours)
- My group and I volunteered at ABC Shelter to help feed the homeless. We helped heat and serve the food at the front, and assisted with the cleanup of the dishes in the kitchen.
3. Essay – In 500 words, describe in your own words what you have learned from your volunteer experience. How did your community involvement make a difference?
4. Academic Record – Please include copies of your two most recent report cards. Report cards must show your grades and your class average for each of your subjects.
5. Reference Letter(s) – A minimum of one letter of reference is required from a teacher, a school administrator, counselor, or non-related individual with knowledge of the applicant’s experience and involvement. Include a phone number and email address for your reference(s).
For more information, please contact Merry Go Round Children’s Foundation at (647) 559-2747 or email@example.com.